Paediatric physiotherapy is for children (newborn to 17 years) who are experiencing mobility challenges with crawling, cruising, walking, and running. These challenges not only impact the child’s daily function but also affect their gross motor skills and ability to engage in play with friends and family. By working with our paediatric physiotherapist in Carleton Place, children and their families learn helpful strategies to develop increased independence outside of physiotherapy sessions.
Paediatric physiotherapy can help children with:
- Developmental delays
- Cerebral palsy
- Down syndrome
- Spinal cord injuries
- Post-surgery rehabilitation
- …and more
Paediatric physiotherapy can help with:
- Toe walking
- Developmental coordination disorder
- Deconditioning from prolonged illness/hospitalization
Paediatric physiotherapy treatment goals:
- Provide collaborative goal setting to assist families in establishing achievable goals
- Educate primary caregiver(s) and develop a treatment plan that will help the child reach developmental milestones
- Improve physical function
- Improve gross motor skills
- Create strategies that maximize the child’s function and foster
- Independence at home, in social settings, and in playgroups
- Work closely with other care providers (when required) in addition to the primary caregiver(s)
- Provide an engaging and safe therapeutic environment for families
Download a PDF version of our paediatric physiotherapy brochure.
Do you have extended health benefits?
Many insurance providers offer financial coverage for this and other services offered at our Collaborative Care Centre. Please check with your provider for details. Certain medical expenses are also eligible to claim on your personal income tax. Refer to Canada Revenue Agency for details.